Disabling VP9 in Android Chrome's WebRTC


NOTE: due to complexity and opaqueness (to a JavaScript developer) of WebRTC technologies, this may not be a complete solution. You are advised to test and benchmark thorough before using this hack in real product.

Problem: encoding with VP9 can cause high CPU load in an old tablet

The problem happened with a Lenovo YOGA tablet and its ARMv7 MSM8909 processor.

When a video is being send to the other browse, the FPS of all videos falls to less than 1.

We finally located the direct cause of CPU load: encoding video stream in VP9 took 400 ~ 600ms per frame (the avarage encode time can be found in chrome://webrtc-internals).

Fix: force Chrome to use VP8

Local offer SDP lists video formats that can be used in RTCPeerConnection. If we remove VP9 from SDP before passing it to peerConn.setLocalDescription(), Chrome will use other codecs instead.

I am attaching an example SDP got from WebRTC samples Munge SDP. Changes are listed in diff format. Lines started with ! are comments and not part of SDP.

--- original SDP got from peerConn.createOffer()
+++ new SDP to use in peerConn.setLocalDescription()
 v=0
 o=- 1663534131550752306 2 IN IP4 127.0.0.1
 s=-
 t=0 0
 a=group:BUNDLE audio video data
 a=msid-semantic: WMS NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs
 m=audio 9 UDP/TLS/RTP/SAVPF 111 103 104 9 0 8 106 105 13 126
 c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0
 a=rtcp:9 IN IP4 0.0.0.0
 a=ice-ufrag:VoeE
 a=ice-pwd:ZMrKM1piGvOdgZxVOOLlMOMq
 a=fingerprint:sha-256 00:3A:44:D4:B6:9D:8D:88:87:84:F8:18:29:8F:64:E8:AE:59:3E:D6:33:6C:74:88:4D:F8:88:1C:0E:C6:48:F9
 a=setup:actpass
 a=mid:audio
 a=extmap:1 urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:ssrc-audio-level
 a=sendrecv
 a=rtcp-mux
 a=rtpmap:111 opus/48000/2
 a=rtcp-fb:111 transport-cc
 a=fmtp:111 minptime=10;useinbandfec=1
 a=rtpmap:103 ISAC/16000
 a=rtpmap:104 ISAC/32000
 a=rtpmap:9 G722/8000
 a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
 a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
 a=rtpmap:106 CN/32000
 a=rtpmap:105 CN/16000
 a=rtpmap:13 CN/8000
 a=rtpmap:126 telephone-event/8000
 a=ssrc:795782633 cname:/nX1r0P1oSOr0ktw
 a=ssrc:795782633 msid:NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs 44267d8c-e64a-4c3c-b40f-975dfa4a5ea4
 a=ssrc:795782633 mslabel:NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs
 a=ssrc:795782633 label:44267d8c-e64a-4c3c-b40f-975dfa4a5ea4
! "m=" denotes "Media Descriptions".
! The numbers 100 101 ... are "payload type number" that are used to index payload.
! We are removing 101, the payload type number of VP9 here
-m=video 9 UDP/TLS/RTP/SAVPF 100 101 107 116 117 96 97 99 98
+m=video 9 UDP/TLS/RTP/SAVPF 100 107 116 117 96 97 99 98
 c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0
 a=rtcp:9 IN IP4 0.0.0.0
 a=ice-ufrag:VoeE
 a=ice-pwd:ZMrKM1piGvOdgZxVOOLlMOMq
 a=fingerprint:sha-256 00:3A:44:D4:B6:9D:8D:88:87:84:F8:18:29:8F:64:E8:AE:59:3E:D6:33:6C:74:88:4D:F8:88:1C:0E:C6:48:F9
 a=setup:actpass
 a=mid:video
 a=extmap:2 urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:toffset
 a=extmap:3 http://www.webrtc.org/experiments/rtp-hdrext/abs-send-time
 a=extmap:4 urn:3gpp:video-orientation
 a=extmap:5 http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-holmer-rmcat-transport-wide-cc-extensions-01
 a=extmap:6 http://www.webrtc.org/experiments/rtp-hdrext/playout-delay
 a=sendrecv
 a=rtcp-mux
 a=rtcp-rsize
 a=rtpmap:100 VP8/90000
 a=rtcp-fb:100 ccm fir
 a=rtcp-fb:100 nack
 a=rtcp-fb:100 nack pli
 a=rtcp-fb:100 goog-remb
 a=rtcp-fb:100 transport-cc
! "a=" are attributes associated with each payload type number
! this tells us that 101 is the payload type number to remove
-a=rtpmap:101 VP9/90000
-a=rtcp-fb:101 ccm fir
-a=rtcp-fb:101 nack
-a=rtcp-fb:101 nack pli
-a=rtcp-fb:101 goog-remb
-a=rtcp-fb:101 transport-cc
 a=rtpmap:107 H264/90000
 a=rtcp-fb:107 ccm fir
 a=rtcp-fb:107 nack
 a=rtcp-fb:107 nack pli
 a=rtcp-fb:107 goog-remb
 a=rtcp-fb:107 transport-cc
 a=fmtp:107 level-asymmetry-allowed=1;packetization-mode=1;profile-level-id=42e01f
 a=rtpmap:116 red/90000
 a=rtpmap:117 ulpfec/90000
 a=rtpmap:96 rtx/90000
 a=fmtp:96 apt=100
 a=rtpmap:97 rtx/90000
! "a=fmtp" attribute is described in RFC4588
! In short, apt=101 referes to previous VP9 payload type.
! We are changing it to 100 (VP8 payload) here.
-a=fmtp:97 apt=101
+a=fmtp:97 apt=100
 a=rtpmap:99 rtx/90000
 a=fmtp:99 apt=107
 a=rtpmap:98 rtx/90000
 a=fmtp:98 apt=116
 a=ssrc-group:FID 1412078074 1853322751
 a=ssrc:1412078074 cname:/nX1r0P1oSOr0ktw
 a=ssrc:1412078074 msid:NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs 8d3831fd-53dd-464a-8a24-0b21f2465e3d
 a=ssrc:1412078074 mslabel:NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs
 a=ssrc:1412078074 label:8d3831fd-53dd-464a-8a24-0b21f2465e3d
 a=ssrc:1853322751 cname:/nX1r0P1oSOr0ktw
 a=ssrc:1853322751 msid:NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs 8d3831fd-53dd-464a-8a24-0b21f2465e3d
 a=ssrc:1853322751 mslabel:NFf4pxQvqNFomEdHC0fI1kwlxx5O9NbeAUUs
 a=ssrc:1853322751 label:8d3831fd-53dd-464a-8a24-0b21f2465e3d
 m=application 9 DTLS/SCTP 5000
 c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0
 a=ice-ufrag:VoeE
 a=ice-pwd:ZMrKM1piGvOdgZxVOOLlMOMq
 a=fingerprint:sha-256 00:3A:44:D4:B6:9D:8D:88:87:84:F8:18:29:8F:64:E8:AE:59:3E:D6:33:6C:74:88:4D:F8:88:1C:0E:C6:48:F9
 a=setup:actpass
 a=mid:data
 a=sctpmap:5000 webrtc-datachannel 1024

Also note that if you split SDP string into lines, they should be joined with \r\n. This is stated in RFC4566: SDP (The sequence CRLF (0x0d0a) is used to end a record, blah). Missed it in my first try.

We decided to use VP8 because it should almost be available. Android Compatibility Definition Document says that all devices with Android >= 4.3 is required to have VP8 encoder.

Caveats / TBD

Editing SDP worked for me, but this is far from a perfect fix. To name a few:

  • VP9 is stated to save 30% of bandwidth than VP8 (src).
  • I did not find a way to detect hardware encoding capability in mobile browser (any browser actually). The best workaround I could think of is to apply this hack to all Android Chrome versions.

Reference